Liam Doran has a special relationship with Julian Godfrey Engineering . Having been involved with his father’s cars from such a young age, Liam has been a regular visitor to our Heathfield Workshop . Never missing anything, Liam has a great understanding of just how much goes into each engine from the first bolt to the dyno session.
It’s with great pride we support Liam in his Rallycross quest to become the best in the sport, raising the profile of the sport for all the other drivers at the same time. When Liam asked us to build the engines for his Monster Energy Citroen DS3 the team could not have been more focused or inspired. To have a British driver regularly winning rounds of the ERC had seemed a far cry in the last decade and with 2nd place in its development year a future British ERC seems all the more likely .
Things Julian Godfrey have done for Liam
Rs200 Pikes Peak Car
Re-commissioning an old German hillclimb car for pikes peak would be almost impossible for most engineers in the world . Most parts would need to be redesigned and remade to cope with altitude changes in the Colorado mountains in the USA.
So plans were made to upgrade the engine, brakes, suspension and rollcage in in a very tight schedule .
The engine was removed and as we already knew it was in great shape it was not necessary to rebuild it or change any internal components. We decided to replace the single butterfly with a multi butterfly manifold similar to the ones we use on our Rallycross engines but with the original plenum cover to retain some of the engines originality. The exhaust manifold was also replaced as this was showing signs of ageing and the possibility of a high altitude turbo from Garrett made our mind up. The BDTE engine was dynoed and it produced 875bhp more than enough for our first attempt at the world’s greatest hillclimb.
The chassis was treated to a full strip so we could attend to the ageing paintwork and we removed the parcel shelf in the passenger section on the rear bulkhead. This allows mechanics to change the cylinder head without removing the entire engine and you never know when this time saving will be needed. With all the suspension now painted black some reassembly could take place. The only problem was we wanted to use some F1 discs and calipers as carbon discs outperform all alternatives and the weight saving is so important when building a fast car. On the rear this proved to be not too complicated and after some time spent making brackets and bells this was completed. However the front would require a complete new upright to house the tiny discs and we got straight to work designing and manufacturing these .
Brakes sorted. Paintwork sorted. Engine sorted. Now a new wiring loom and Pectel SQ6 was commissioned from Gary Barker @ gt electronics. With every type of sensor possible, we can record as much data as the SQ6 will allow. In the first year we wanted this info for a real assault in 2013.
Also for reliability reasons we manufactured a billet alloy bellhousing and billet alloy transfer box casings. Pete from Spec R helped with the fabrication side as we had moved so many things, new coolers and radiators were made to save weight and keep cool in the thin mountain air.
The team were now totally exhausted most had been working 16hr days but the car was ready for Liam’s Father Pat, to shake down at Lydden. This did not go well! With so much response and horsepower the badly setup car caught Pat out. With the hard compound tyres taking ages to warm up we should have realised the end result would be a disaster.
With only days left before the car needed to leave the team licked their wounds and dug deep. The whole bodywork was destroyed so it was time to call in some help from Xsport to make new panels. Meanwhile everyone raced to rebuild the car for Liam to test just a day before we needed to load up for America.
We ended up testing at Blyton with Liam arriving around lunchtime. This time it was different, the car amazed Liam and getting him out the seat was our biggest problem until he stalled on a corner and the overheated carbon brakes set the brake fluid on fire. This was testing over and we raced back to base to rethink our brakes. With no time left we returned to old fashioned discs but retained the F1 calipers. It’s a tried and tested setup that works really well and the best we could offer Liam in such a short timeline.
That was it! The car and spares went in a plane to America where we would meet it in LA for some final fettling, the only problem now was Colorado was on fire and the event was cancelled just as we left our homes to go to Heathrow. This caused a problem for Liam as he would not be able to make the event and instead Pat would drive.
So one month later we took the car to the hill and posted 3rd fastest time in practice and although the little Ford never completed the event due to gearbox failure, we had got the data we needed to go back in 2013 for a proper attempt.